Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Authenticated Email Issue
O/S: UBUNTU 10.04 LTS
EHCP: 0.30.4

I built a new server from scratch, intalled EHCP 0.30.4 and everything seems to be working fine. However, I cannot send an an email, regardless of whether I am inside or outside the network.

At first I thought it was an internal DNS issue and after a review I did find a few problems with the DNS but nothing having to do with email.

I checked to make sure authentication was turned on and it seems to be, but outlook just loops around and around asking me for the password to my account. I have multiple accounts that I have tested against to make sure I am not simply mis-typing a password with the same results.

I CAN send email with Squirrel Mail, so i know that email itself is configured properly, and that my passwords are accurate.

PLEASE NOTE: I have deleted and recreated, added new accounts and changed the passwords to verify that my passwords are correct.

The errors that I get in the syslog are:

Mar 9 16:17:11 arachnia postfix/smtpd[31622]: connect from static-72-87-86-170.prvdri.fios.verizon.net[72.87.86.170]

Mar 9 16:17:11 arachnia postfix/smtpd[31622]: warning: static-72-87-86-170.prvdri.fios.verizon.net[72.87.86.170]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure

Mar 9 16:17:11 arachnia postfix/smtpd[31622]: lost connection after AUTH from static-72-87-86-170.prvdri.fios.verizon.net[72.87.86.170]

Mar 9 16:17:11 arachnia postfix/smtpd[31622]: disconnect from static-72-87-86-170.prvdri.fios.verizon.net[72.87.86.170]

Any suggestions? This is really becoming annooying and it is preventing me from rolling out my hosting project. Any help would be appreicated.

Scott

Restored from old drupal forum, for user uid:4431 usernameConfusedshippee
You may reset your password to access your new account here.
do:
tail -f /var/log/auth.log
also look at other logs.
you may have some missing packages, such as auth_mysql
you need to install those by hand.
most probably, ehcp installer was not able to install them.

Looks like you're not authorized to send outgoing emails. Use a relay / configure your email to use Verizon's mail servers.

Use this guide:

http://www.justatheory.com/computers/mail/postfix-and-comcast.html

But get your account information from verzion and set the correct mail server.

Restored from old drupal forum, for user uid:1 username:ehcpdeveloper
Thanks Own for the advice, but the intention is for this to be a hosting server, so routing mail through Verizon is unacceptable, but thanks for the idea.

Restored from old drupal forum, for user uid:2735 username:own3mall
Mar 15 11:05:10 arachnia saslauthd[4821]: pam_mysql - MySQL error (Can't connect to MySQL server on '127.0.0.1' (111))
Mar 15 11:05:10 arachnia saslauthd[4821]: DEBUG: auth_pam: pam_authenticate failed: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info
Mar 15 11:05:10 arachnia saslauthd[4821]: do_auth : auth failure: [user=sshippee@scoden.net] [service=smtp] [realm=scoden.net] [mech=pam] [reason=PAM auth error]

Looks like it is having a connection issue, so now where does pam_mysql get the login information for MySql, I am thinking it is incorrect in that file.

this may fix it: ehcp->options->fix mail configuration
make sure also your ehcp daemon running, before doing that.
you should see many things in "tail -f /var/log/ehcp.log"